Thursday, January 19, 2012

Stuff Brides Say

It's been awhile. For this, I apologize! Between the holidays, two deaths in my family the week of Christmas, and life in general, I haven't wanted to think about weddings (and since I'm not currently with any bridesmaid responsibilities, I'm going to allow myself that break).
There's this video on YouTube that I saw that inspired me though:
In the video (a recap in case you didn't watch, or haven't lately), the bride says multiple times "I just wanted you to be the first to know!"
Now wait. Hold on. Do what now?
I've been asked to be in five weddings, and maid of honor for three. In two of those cases, I knew that the groom was proposing before the bride knew (though only one of those did I know the actual day that the proposal was happening). Do you know how many times I heard "I just wanted you to be the first to know!"?
Zero. Zero times.
In fact, none of the brides called me (at least not as the first form of communication). I got 3 text messages (pretty sure they were mass texts too), one in person, and one, I found out on Facebook.
Do you know who was probably the first person to get the phone calls? Their parents. And you know what? That's how it should be. I'd probably think less of my friends if I was their first call.

Now that that little soapbox is out of the way... the rest of the video is hilarious. And not really like any of the brides I knew. I'll consider myself lucky, I guess!

If I were to make a "Stuff Brides Say" based on my experiences...
"You can wear that dress again." (oh that's right.)
"I like this dress for you. No... wait. This one. That's really the one. Or..."
"I'm not a bridezilla."
[morning of the wedding] "I just want this day to be over with."
"The wedding is more about the guests than me."

Anyone got any brideisms that aren't in the video or on my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment