Friday, January 21, 2011

Dress Sizes & Alterations

I've got bridesmaid dress on the brain apparently. I took my latest dress to my grandma to hem (she's helped me with 3 of the 4), because, let's be honest. I'm only going to wear this dress once. There's no reason to spend a ridiculous amount of money on alterations when my grandma can do a good job for free.
Besides- how is is fair that bridal stores don't always keep samples in every size? In fact, while purchasing my most recent dress, the smallest size available was 4 sizes larger than the dress I purchased. Only twice have I been able to try on a dress in the proper size in the store.
I got lucky with the first dress- it was cocktail length and had straps, so I didn't really need to worry about alterations. Thank goodness, because the dress didn't even arrive until 2 weeks before the wedding... and I hadn't been able to try on the dress in the correct size at the store. This might end up being the only dress I will wear again... although it's been almost 2 years and I still haven't.
Second dress, not so lucky. Lucky in the fact that I got to try on the right size in the store. Unlucky in that the dress was very fitted and strapless... and I'd gained a few pounds. All of a sudden, the size I was in the wedding before was very very tight. And the next size up would have cost a fortune to alter, with the way the top half was fitted. After losing the weight, and purchasing fake Spanx just to make sure, the dress was still entirely too long. My grandma cut off about 3 inches from the hem, which was then used by the bride's mother to make the bride's garter (her "something blue"). As I can't get into the dress by myself due to hooks, and it can't be washed or dry-cleaned, I don't picture ever wearing this dress again.
Third dress really set me off. It was my third time purchasing from David's Bridal, so you'd think that I'd know what my size was. And yet, with the way this particular dress was made, I ended up having to purchase a dress two sizes larger than I had the previous dresses, and I hadn't even gained weight! And with purchasing a dress two sizes larger just to fit one part of my body, the other part of the dress was two sizes too large. When I picked up my dress, they had me try it on for alterations estimates, and the alterations were going to cost 150% the price of the dress. So, rather than have a fitted dress, I was able to be comfortable and breathe at the wedding. Yet again, my grandma had to cut significant portions of the bottom of the dress off, plus she had to cut off part of the straps to make it fit better. This dress is bright pink satin. I won't be wearing it again.
Fourth dress was short again, so no hemming necessary. This was my first non-David's Bridal dress. Now the issue was the straps again. Currently, the straps stick up an inch off my shoulder, which probably isn't how the dress is supposed to look. So, my grandma is now fixing that part of the dress now. There is a small chance it can be worn again.
What I've learned about bridesmaid dresses: No matter what the bride says, you're probably not going to wear it again. I've come to take it as a joke if they say, "You can just shorten it and wear it again!" Most importantly, it's the bride's day, and if they want me to wear even the most ridiculous dress that day, I'll do it. But, I've learned that it's not worth it to push yourself to fit into a smaller dress (unless it's really your only option, like dress #2). Why work nonstop to fit into a dress you'll wear for a few hours? And, if you have a family member or friend willing to do the alterations, save yourself the money. And that's what I've learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment