Sunday, January 23, 2011

The MOH Speech

So you've been named Maid of Honor... do you know what your responsibilities entail? (No, I'm being serious. This changes for each bride, so figure out what you are responsible for before the bride gets upset that you aren't helping).
One common requirement for Maid of Honor is the speech/ toast (provided typically at the reception, typically when the Best Man shares a speech as well). The difficult thing is figuring out what to say. I'm currently struggling through writing my second speech, and would really not like to have it put off as long as it took me for my first one.
Now, most MOH speeches are sweet and fluffy, while the best men get to make all the funny jokes/ be a little crazier. This doesn't have to be the case though. My first time being Maid of Honor, the Best Man ended up having the sweet & sentimental speech. My speech, on the other hand, recalled an English assignment from 7th grade (the year I became best friends with the bride), in which half of the grade had to write single's ads and then everyone was given a copy. Yes- I read the bride's 7th grade version of a single's ad to the entire reception, which had everyone laughing.
I got lucky. I save stupid assignments like that. And at 11pm, after attending the rehearsal dinner, I still had NO IDEA what I was going to say to a room full of people that resembled a well-thought-out speech. And then I needed something in my closet and voila, 7th grade assignment fell off of my shelf. It was an 11th hour miracle, for sure.
Not quite so lucky this time around. I want to share something funny like that, but I didn't meet this bride until college. So no silly middle school stories (really, those are the most embarrassing). I could share the moment she compared me to Britney Spears (I think this was before the head-shaving incident, thankfully)... or I could share the moment she was willing to "sacrifice my dignity" for the good of the school. Or daring each other to convince professors to join Facebook. I could share that her fiancé's only worry about our bachelorette trip was that she was going to meet Prince Charming (yeah, we went to Disney). Or I could just talk about Disney in general (a mutual love of ours).
Or, I could share more sentimental moments this time around. If I could only think of any off the top of my head. So many moments of our friendship have been laughing that it's hard to remember anything like that.
The point: the Maid of Honor speech should mean something to you. Make it personal, whether it's funny or sweet. Because she picked you for the position because of your friendship, not to hear something that anyone else could have said.

I've got less than 2 months to figure out what to say... fingers crossed it doesn't take another 11th hour miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment