Sunday, June 5, 2011

On being a professional bridesmaid

I should start off this post by pointing out that I know there are people who have been in more weddings than I have, and that I probably still have a few weddings before my tenure as "professional bridesmaid" is up. That being said...

I've jokingly referred to myself as a professional bridesmaid, but at wedding #5, after a guest/ close friend of the bride's family found out that it was my 5th wedding, she and others started referring to me as such. When it came time to do anything, "Where's the professional bridesmaid? She knows what to do." This wedding is when I realized that with that title, you've got to be prepared for ANYTHING.

What it takes to be a "professional bridesmaid" (even The Knot couldn't prepare me for this):

  • You've got the essentials: Advil, bandaids, lotion, needle & thread
  • You know what to do in a crisis (i.e., the bride doesn't have "something blue," and you figure out that you have straps that you aren't using on your blue dress with you, which can be safety pinned to the inside of her dress)
  • You know to get caffeine before the wedding (Sonic happy hour in this particular instance)
  • You know how to paint nails, and manage to get the other bridesmaids and yourself in record time
  • You know how to zip the bride into the dress, if it requires specific maneuvering/ bride not breathing while it's being zipped
  • The minister goes to you while the bride & groom are taking group pictures, because things were left behind
  • You know how to bustle the dress, without requiring safety pins to show you where the loops are
  • The catering staff comes to you at the reception to ask if you managed to figure out how to get music to play, since you'd already been by to bug them when they didn't have the hookup like had been promised by someone else
  • You can come up with a reception playlist on the day of the rehearsal, when other reception options fall through
  • When there's an undesirable bridesmaid job, you get pushed to do it (unless you figure out an alternative)

Makes me wonder why I didn't go into wedding planning as a career choice. Maybe I should start my own business... "Rent a Bridesmaid." I'll be there with Advil, lotion, drinks, and get everyone down the aisle and into the reception with everything ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment